Mom's Garden Trowel - Oil - by John Morfis

Mom's Garden Trowel - Oil - by John Morfis

When I cull old tools to create paintings from I typically work from actually erstwhile antiques. They are usually made of metallic and wood and as a consequence lack much color.

This shovel, while certainly not the oldest, is not a shiny new object by whatsoever means. It is solid metal and has a rubber sheath that covers the handle. This added a nice touch of greenish to the garden trowel. I was happy to work with some more saturated colors for once. Because of the antique woods and metals I typically paint from, my palette has definitely gotten narrower over the by several years. And then narrow that sometimes I merely have neutrals and browns on my palette! This brilliant greenish handle opened upwardly my palette somewhat.

This petty garden trowel belongs to my mother. She uses in and around the flower garden she has effectually my parent'south patio. Whenever I visit my parents I would ever encounter the green handle of this shovel sticking up out of the ground. After a while I started thinking that mayhap I wanted to try painting the little shovel. Information technology does take an interesting class and it is a meaningful family tool. I didn't even clean it upwards too much. If you await closely towards the bottom half of the shovel you can run into some clay still sticking to the metal. The dirt created an opportunity to add some warmer browns on elevation of the by and large neutral-hued metal.

Well, I finally did! After a few days piece of work, laying down color and making my corrections in paint I had completed a painting of my mom'south very ain garden trowel! I've painted many tools belonging to family unit members over the years, but this was the first item I painted that belongs to my mother.